I can’t believe it’s already May, you guys! Time is going so fast. It feels like yesterday I started this blog, but it’s been almost four months already. Having said that, I’m going to starts this wrap up before I sound like an old person.
Looking back, April wasn’t a great month for me. I set out to read five books and wanted to participate in Camp NaNoWriMo but I failed at both. I read 4 books this month and Camp, well… that was a complete disaster. I knew it was going to be hard to juggle Camp with everything else I have going on, but I really thought I could do better. I’ll probably do a post on why I failed Camp NaNoWriMo this year. Maybe it will help you learn from my mistakes.
Here’s an overview of what happened along with some of my favourites of this month
Books I read
- Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda: funny, light read with amazing, three-dimensional characters. I love Simon and Blue, Abby, and even Taylor with the Amazing Metabolism ❤
- The Hate U Give: one of the most important (YA) books I’ve ever read.
- City of Saints & Thieves: a mystery / thriller with a unique setting and a diverse cast, but somewhat of a disappointment.
- The Upside of Unrequited: another funny, light read by Becky Albertalli but, ultimately, not as good as Simon vs.
Other Blog Posts
- Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten of the Most Unique Books I’ve Read / Am Going to Read
- Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Things that Will Instantly Make Me Want to Read a Book
Infinity Talks & Discussions
- Hype: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Review: Thirteen Reasons Why (Netflix Series)
- On Mental Illness: Stop Blaming the Victim!
- My Bookish Pet Peeves in YA Fiction
- Thirteen Reasons Why: despite the controversy, I enjoyed watching this show and it’s had a huge impact on me. You can find my full review on this blog (link in the discussion section above).
- Designated Survivor: I started watching this when it first aired and really liked the concept, but then it went on a hiatus of a couple of months I believe. I recently started watching the new episodes and I’m happy to say it’s gotten better. I’m really hooked now! For those of you who haven’t heard of it: Designated Survivor is a show about “a low-level Cabinet member who becomes President of the United States after a catastrophic attack kills everyone above him in the Presidential line of succession.” (IMDB) It stars Kiefer Sutherland as the new President of the United States and Maggie Q (one of my favourite actresses. Nikita, anyone??) as FBI agent Hannah Wells.
- Guardians of the Galaxy II
On Saturday night, I went to the movies to see Guardians of the Galaxy II. I really loved the first one, so I’d been looking forward to seeing the sequel just like any other fan. There was a lot of hype and a lot of expectations and I think that’s why I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. It’s a good movie, but the humour was often forced. It was trying too hard to be funny and it backfired. But, on a more positive note, I loved baby Groot ❤
- The Sign of The Times by Harry Styles
I was never a 1D fan, so I was pleasantly surprised by the boys’ solo careers. I already liked Zayn’s Pillow Talk and now The Sign of the Times has become one of my favourite songs. To be honest, it’s not what I expected from Harry Styles at all. He’s come out with a song that has great lyrics and singing. It’s a timeless song, a song that I think we’ll still be listening to thirty years from now.
I really hope there’s more where this came from.