Happy Monday! Today is a beautiful day because 1) I have a day off from work (yay for bank holidays!) and 2) the weather is really nice. It’s very sunny and the temperature is perfect: not too hot, not too cold. A perfect start to the week.
Today I’m going to do another tag because I genuinely love doing them and I feel like you get to know the person behind the blog better with these tags.
I was nominated for this award by Bridget @BridgetandBooks. To Bridget: thank you again for tagging me. To everyone else: go check out her blog. She’s got some really good content and her blog aesthetic is #goals.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 10 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them and provide the link to the post you created.
I’d been toying around with the idea of starting a blog for some time because I love writing and a blog seemed like a good way to practice and get better at it. But for quite a few years, the idea of keeping a blog remained but an idea. I never said to myself: “Okay, this is the day. Today I’m going to register and start writing my blog post.”
The main reasons I kept pushing the idea to the side was because 1) I I didn’t know what to write about and 2) I lacked confidence. At first, I had no clue what my blog would be about. There were a couple of topics I was interested in (health and fitness for example, but also movies, and writing as a craft) but those never felt quite “right”, you know? I didn’t think I was knowledgeable enough about these topics to write about them and stay passionate enough to keep at it.
Then, somewhere at the end of last year, I rediscovered my love for reading. I say rediscovered because I’d been in a reading slump for about a year and a half, maybe even longer. I got stuck in that slump because I’d had to read a lot (!) of books in Uni, which kind of took away the fun of reading. I was simply reading because I had to, not because I wanted to. Luckily, I got back into reading and started enjoying it more than ever.
But I still lacked confidence. I thought: “What am I going to contribute to the blogging community? Why would anyone want to read MY blog when there are probably hundreds of thousands of other blogs?”
Fast forward to a couple of days before New Year’s Eve. I know it’s horribly clichéd but I always write down a few New Year’s Resolutions. At the end of the year, I look back at the old ones, see what I’ve accomplished, and write down new ones. One of the new ones was “start a blog”.
And so I did. I thought about a name and the way I wanted my blog to look before I registered on January 9th, 2017.
So that’s how it all started.
- Think about what you want your blog to be like. This is crucial, I think. Yes, you can start out writing whatever you want and post whenever you like, but without a good idea of what you want to do, you’re going to run out of steam. Probably sooner rather than later. But if you have some kind of plan or even a rough idea of which content you’d like to have on your blog, it’ll be much easier to write consistent posts.If you have no idea how or where to start, I advise you to have a look at other bloggers. There are so so so many amazing bloggers out there with years and years of experience. You’ll be bound to be inspired by them. The same thing goes for your blog’s design by the way. At the beginning, you’ll have no clue what you’re doing, but it’ll come in time. You’ll learn very quickly.
- Don’t be scared of or intimidated by the community. I know it’s hard when you’re just starting out and you see all these successful bloggers who all seem to know each other. You probably think you’ll never get you foot in the door, but you’re wrong. The blogging community is open and kind and helpful and absolutely amazing. Just go out there, follow other people’s blog, leave thoughtful comments on their posts, and you’ll make friends in no time.
- Marie @DrizzleandHurricaneBooks
- Lashaan @Bookidote
- Norin @DiaryofaBookFiend
- Becky @BooktotheBecky
- Mahriya @MyBookishLife
If you’ve already done this or you don’t like doing tags, please don’t feel obligated to do it!